Thursday, August 11, 2005

Hello ladies

As you may or may not know, we are a homeschooling family. School begins in a couple of weeks, so I might be quieter than usual as I get ready to get him started on 3rd grade. I'm trying something new this year. ROUTINES! For the past 2 months, our morning & evening routines have been followed by me, my 8 yr old and my 2 yr old. So much so that last night, they actually went in and brushed their teeth and washed their faces WITHOUT ME! AND 45 minutes EARLY! I'm so proud of them. I have a.d.d. and keeping any kind of routine has always been just about impossible for me, but thanks to flylady's insistance that I can do anything, I've succeeded in not only mine but my children's success.

This year, we're going to try working with unit studies. These are different than what we've done in the past, and I'm hoping they're going to help us both stay focused. The first 3 years have been difficult, with teaching him to read. But now that he's got that down pretty well, we're ready to move on! I'm psyched, I really am. And I'm also going to begin my 2 yr old daughter on a sort of pre-school program to keep her occupied while I work with my son. I don't have any preconceived notions that by the end of the school year, she'll KNOW this stuff, but I figure if it's instilled early enough, maybe it won't be so bad when it really comes time. I did the same thing with my son, and so he knew his alphabet & numbers very early on. As I said, I'm so proud of them both.

So, if I don't post as much as I usually do, you'll know why. Getting these unit studies together and keeping the house, kids and hubby happy is certainly a full-time job. Add that in with my extracurricular activities and watch out! :)

Oh, and I FINALLY lost that one damned pound I've been working on for 2 WEEKS!! I've officially lost 30 lbs now :D *doing the happy dance*

Yay :D

~Dawn

No comments: